Saturday, July 19, 2008

Reading and Writing Fool

Did you think I fell off the face of the Earth again?

I am happy to report that I have been absent because I've been reading and writing like crazy.

I've been reading books and then writing reviews for Bookstrumpet! Yay, me!

My first review was for "Twilight" - not a bad review for my first one, but I'm getting better. I've just finished reading "The Painter From Shanghai" by Jennifer Cody Epstein. A gorgeous story with such lush prose. My review for that one is almost done - it's difficult to write a review for such an amazing work. It's also hard to not use the word "lush" in every other sentence, but it was. The scents, textures, tastes and colors she describes are so ... well, you know. Lush.
I only hope I do it justice.

I've also just read "Kate - The Woman Who Was Hepburn" and will write that review next. That was a thick book - 532 pages in hardback. But it was very worth it! And such an interesting take on Katharine, her life, and (of course) Spencer Tracy. Thoroughly researched, for certain, and quite eye-opening. Most especially for a huge fan of both Hepburn and Tracy. I've read bios of them before but this one was layered and complicated - just like the woman herself.

In between reading those two books, I got to do an interview with one of my favorite authors - Sonia Singh. She's very warm and witty and the interview was a treat. And, as it was my first interview, she was very patient and helpful. She also gave some good advice about dealing with your Inner Critic as you begin to flesh out a story. I hope I get another chance to interview her again - I learned some valuable info, and would love more!

If you have a few minutes, stroll on over to http://wordstrumpet.typepad.com/bookstrumpet/ and take a look. Charlotte even posted a little something about the interview on her main site - Wordstrumpet. (The link for it is over there on your left.)

That's all for now. We had Payton's (belated) birthday party at the Noisy Arcade, Pizza and Birthday Party Place today ... and right now I'm seriously exhausted.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Cissa Fireheart said...

Welcome Back! It sounds like things are starting to look up for you! Didn't I say they would?? :D

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Glad you're back and glad you're loving your reading and writing! :)

Your American Idol! said...

The title of this post alone is worth a million bucks.

"A Reading and Writing Fool."

I might put that on my business card!

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!