Monday, May 5, 2008

Characters

The hubby and I had an interesting couple of days.... I mean nights. We did the mystery shop at a neighborhood tavern Friday and Saturday night. The kids were at the grandparents' houses for the weekend so we didn't have to worry about having a curfew - which was really nice.

But it's been quite a while since we've gone out TWO nights in a row and not returned home before 3 a.m. In fact, I am very sure that it was years and years ago.
It feels like it was a hundred years ago.

Or is it that I feel like I'm a hundred years old? (sigh)

The tavern is actually pretty great. Nice decor, good food, and friendly staff and patrons. It's the kind of place we'd actually like to hang out even if we weren't hired to do so. And if, you know, we actually had a social life and went out more than once every six months.

Of course, like any bar anywhere - there was a light sprinkling of wackos in the with ordinary people. We got to see arguments that almost escalated into a fight on both nights, and a table and chair got knocked over in a fit of testosterone-fueled rage during one of those nights.

The only casualty was a broken ashtray. But no punches were thrown, no blood was spilled, and soon after the shouting died down, everyone went back to their bottles and glasses and cigarettes and video poker games.

I confess that 99% of my brain was focused on the job to be done, and watching for all those no-no's that so often occur in a bar.

But that remaining 1%? That was in full-on blog-material-seeker-mode.

Just for you folks.

Let me tell you about some of the people we encountered ...

There's the petite little lady who severely misjudged her alcohol tolerance. Whenever she had to walk any where - usually to the bathroom and then back to her bar stool - she walked with both hands grabbing onto anything that was stationary, taking tiny little unsure steps.

It was very much like watching a toddler get the hang of walking by holding onto furniture. The only difference being that the toddler seems to get better with each attempt. By the end of the evening, as her boyfriend steered her out the door, all I could think was how likely it was that she was going to barf in his truck on the way home.

There was the group of late-20-somethings who were obviously trying to rekindle the college drinking nights of old. The did everything but play quarters on the table. They did shots and pounded beers and reminisced.

They talked of friends they had lost touch with as each one got married and had kids, and how those old friends wouldn't come out and drink with them any more. I was seeing them through my own experienced eyes. I could relate to the changes that occur when your circle of friends start "growing up" and having families.

Then I overheard two of the guys talking, away from the rest of the gang. And I admit I lost a little of the kinship and fondness I was feeling for the group. You see, they were out celebrating the fact that the only couple in the group was expecting a little bundle of joy of their own.

Yes, that little blonde with the cute pixie haircut ... the one tossing back shots like it was Spring Break?
The one matching her husband/boyfriend beer for beer?
She's at a bar, celebrating (?) the fact that she's two months pregnant.

Then there's the plant. A plant is a person who sits at the bar and plays a video gambling machine so long that you really wouldn't be surprised to see a root system under her bar stool. This is a lady in her mid-forties who is nursing Baileys on the rocks, chain smoking, and playing video Keno. She never looks around, never takes her eyes off the video screen, never talks with anyone but the bartender.

Now, meet the bespectacled young couple. Early 20's, almost the same shade of brown hair, matching flip flops. Obviously dating for a just few months, they are laughing, talking, nuzzling and sharing quick kisses. Very tasteful and non-offensive PDA. When the bar gets busier, he offers his lap for her to perch on until another bar stool opens up. She giggles and climbs up. She sits with her arm around his shoulders, leaning in to rest her head against his or kiss his cheek. Gradually, their conversation becomes softer and more intimate. When they say good bye to friends and leave for the evening, they stroll out with arms wrapped around each other, her head resting on his shoulder.
I saw more than a few older couples glance at them, wistful little smiles on their faces, remembering the early days of their own romances.


Well, there's a sample. Funny and sad and sweet. Just your typical evening out with the usual bar patrons. With the exception of the video gaming, I'm fairly certain you see the same group at your local bar and grill on the average weekend night.

All things considered, it was pretty damn fun for a job we're getting paid for.

Let's see ... listen to good music on the (digital) jukebox, eat bar food, watch Sportscenter on a huge-ass big screen TV, drink and laugh with my favorite person.

Twist my arm. I just might be talked into doing this again.

7 comments:

Shelley Jaffe said...

Damn! If it didn't cut into my precious sleep time, maybe I would be a bar investigator too. I love just sitting and people-watching. Well, and eavesdropping. I could bring home the gold in the Eavesdropping Olympics. This sounded fun - will you be writing more about it?

v said...

I really enjoyed the glimpses of these people. I needed a good read...thanks.

Lori said...

Baroness-
I love to people-watch too. The eavesdropping was easy because drunks tend to talk much louder than necessary.
Any yes, I think I will be writing more about it. I think the client is going to be pleased with the report and want us to return, and possibly evaluate other properties he owns.

Vickie-
(I feel kinda stupid after knowing you for 25 years - but does your name end in "ie" or "y" ?)
I'm glad you liked the post and thought it was a good read. Thanks for visiting!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Oh, people-watching sounds fun! Glad you enjoyed yourselves!

Rhonda said...

I wanna be a mystery shopper!! Think they have jobs in Indiana?

Sounds like you guys had a very entertaining evening. :)

v said...

:) My name ends in -ie, just like you have it. One of my uncles still doesn't know how to spell it. :) I'm sure you get the same all of the time with your name.

Lori said...

Heather -
Thanks! Of course I was people-watching very obviously so that I could watch the staff secretly. And yes, it was fun!

Rhonda -
I would be surprised if they didn't. If not, just come out for a visit. We'll leave the kids with the grandparents and take you and Grape out. (I love that nickname!)

Vickie-
Whew! And yes, people spell my name wrong all the time. Worse still, I have a few friends that insist on calling Kirk ..."Kurt."

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!