Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Oddly disappointing but not surprising ...

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets


The only "bad" word this blog-rater could find was "crack."


Really? That's it?


I mean, I know I reign in my inner-foulmouthed-sailor-self because my parents, in-laws and one of my kids reads this ... but seriously?


It's not as if my fam is so super-straight laced. My maternal grandmother's term of endearment for any of us 8 grand kids was "you little shit-heels." And no, I'm not really certain what that means but I am totally sure I don't want to know.


When I was about 10, I was talking about movies with my mom one day. I decided to be cutsie and say the movie title in a funny voice. Sadly, what came out of my mouth was, "Shitty, Shitty, Bang, Bang." I was mortified. My mom laughed till she almost peed, and then called her parents to share the story. They laughed too.


Growing up, the curse words hell, damn, and shit were just words that were tossed out in conversation. Randomly, but most likely when it made the statement funnier. I never thought of many curse words as being on the big Forbidden list. I mean, if my grandparents called someone a "damn piss ant" or a "sonofabitch"- it kinda removes the mystique, right?


Coming from a family of bookworms, sprinkling a ton of curses into a conversation was viewed as a sign of a vocabulary that was lacking. However, if it was a creative turn of phrase and happened to contain a little naughty word, well ... it was quite acceptable.


The only word that was never used was the big mamma-jamma "F" word. That one was the one I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole around family. Still don't, actually.


But if family isn't around, don't think the Big Naughty Word doesn't get dropped occasionally.


If family is, there's always the watered down but still indicative and mildly satisfying "frick."


If only I could score points (or would that be "get points deducted?") for the overuse of the word "frick" while being rated. I'd be sure to get at least an "R" rating, right?


Probably not.


Frick ...


3 comments:

Jen said...

Swear words were a big NO-NO in my house growing up. Even now if I jokingly use the Eff word, my mom freaks.

To me it's just a word. I tend to only use it in my blog if I am really mad, and I try to avoid it in general conversation, but if it slips out, it's not like God will strike me down.

It's not language I am teaching my daughter also.

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to tell you what my blog rated.

Lori said...

Jen -
I rarely use that big bad word with my parents - usually only if I'm REALLY upset.
I think my kids understand that those are words that are not to come out of their mouths for quite a few years.

Maggie -
You know I had to go check your rating after that, right?
How do you get an "R" for using "death" four times? No fair!
Death, death, death, death, death!
(Sigh)

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!