Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Day

My birthday was a really good day. We met with our clients, and they were really happy with the work Kirk and I had done last weekend. In fact, they hired us to visit another one of their locations this weekend. And my dad got calls from three other owners the same day who had apparently talked with our current clients, liked what they heard and wanted to hire us also. Whoo-Hoo!!

I prefer low-key birthdays. I really don't like all the fuss and attention directed at me. Weird, I know. I just hung out with Kirk and the kids that night, and it was great.

The best part was when Kirk and Payton were making my birthday cake. You have to get a little history first and know that Kirk is the cook in our house. Actually, he's the chef of our house because he really enjoys cooking, it relaxes him, and he's damned good at it. I tend to burn things and cause people to ask for the number for the poison control center when I attempt to cook. (The only kitchen skills I can boast about is the fact that I make better pancakes than Kirk, and a killer pumpkin pie! Killer in a good way, not a poisonous way.)

So, Kirk wanted to make my birthday cake, and Payton insisted on helping. We suspect that Payton got his hand on the speed button on the mixer, but can't be sure.

Anyhoo ... Kirk hollered for me to come downstairs and the following video is what I recorded for posterity (after I saw the state of things, I made a mad dash upstairs to grab the camera).
I just have to warn you - the house is a wreck 'cause I don't clean often, least of all on my birthday. So don't look at the mess behind everyone. And you must remember that my husband is a fantastic cook, makes cakes all the time and has NEVER had the following event happen before. (Again, we seriously suspect some 7 year old involvement.) And Payton wasn't really hitting me, just smacking my arm and making the camera jiggle. He's a boy and kinda wild at times but he'd never actually hit me. He knows better!
You have to know our family to know that we are joking and teasing throughout the whole thing - Kirk may look angry but he's really not. And listen for Kirk's comment at the end about what I'm going to do with the footage ...

So, without further ado ... I present The Birthday Cake Blowout .....


3 comments:

Jen said...

"She's going to go upstairs and blog about this to all her friends!" That has me laughing to no end because my husband would say that to me too!

It's too bad you weren't able to capture the actual explosion!

And tell your son I told him NEVER to hit his mother again!!!!

Happy Birthday!

v said...

This video is hilarious! Happy Mother's Day! [I'm not sure if I hope they made you another cake or not. :) ]

Lori said...

Jen-
That last line is the "icing" on the cake - pun intended.
And I went back and changed the post to explain about Payton hitting me - he wasn't really - he was just smacking my arm and making the camera jiggle. He knows better, believe me.

Vickie-
It really is, isn't it? Thank you and same back to ya. And the cake turned out perfect - you couldn't even tell some of it went flying around the kitchen!

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!