Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hello Again


Here I am, peeking my head up out of my burrow, sharing a rare daylight post. You see, in months past most of the blog post ideas seemed to magically appear in my brain long past sunset - closer to the witching hour. Actually, the majority of all my best writing ideas usually show up late at night. But right now - right this minute seemed a good time to check in and let you all know I'm alive and kicking. Prepare yourself for a quick, probably disjointed update.


I have been absent from my blogging world and friends for too long. My Google Reader is jam-packed!
I've been trying resist the magnetic pull of the blogs for the last few weeks. It's much too easy for me to lose several hours of prime work-time if I take even one quick peek at a favorite blog. That just opens up a can of worms and the next thing I know I've read every one in my Favorites list, commented on half of them, finally emptied my Google Reader - and haven't gotten one damn word written of real work.


Oh, and the other reason I've been AWOL for the past few weeks?


I ran out of words.


No, really.


What with working on the articles, writing reports for the mystery shopping visits, working on the book, and even just talking (stop snickering) ... I was tapped out. I couldn't think of a decent topic to post about. Even if I did come up with something, I would mull it over in my head, working out what I was going to say and poof! It would just vanish.


I know what you're thinking - you were going to suggest I try reading more. Well, I've somehow found a way to cram frequent trips to the library and many, many late-nights engrossed in one book or another into my daily schedule. I have thoroughly enjoyed myself, but for some reason it hasn't refilled the paltry word pantry (interesting twisty combination there, huh?) in my noggin.


Speaking of books ...
My daughter got me hooked on the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. I read Twilight on a Friday, New Moon on Saturday and Eclipse on Sunday. Crazy, huh? Then I had to pass them on to my mom (who also read them all in a few days) and when she was done I gave them to Anne. Thank goodness we're all fast readers. They're on loan from the library, and I had to request them. There are currently something close to 80 requests for them on the library's website, so we all had to read them while I had them or they would have to wait for weeks like I did. I'm a book hog but I'm willing to pay the late fees! So far I'm up to .75 cents.

The story is quite good, and we're all looking forward to seeing the Twilight movie in December. The fourth book in the series comes out in August, and I have a feeling we'll be in the bookstore at 12:01 a.m. that day. Yes, they are Young Adult books, but even us old ladies liked them.


So, that's my update. Still here, missing you all but trying not to give in to my desire to sit on my bed and blog (reading and writing them) all day every day. I am a happy hermit, you know? But then a few weeks go by and I realize I haven't been farther from my house than the kids' schools or the library (less than 2 miles) and that just can't be healthy, right?

I will check in more often - I promise. But now I'm going to be a good girl and get back to work.

Cheers!

4 comments:

Jen said...

You are definitely full of words again!

I think everyone needs a break from whatever it is they enjoy, once in a while!

Welcome back!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

I saw those books at the Kroger this evening. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm currently reading Everyone Worth Knowing (or Everybody) by the same chick that wrote The Devil Wears Prada. Great light read.

Glad you're back and I'll be here whenever you decide to write, sweetie!

Cissa Fireheart said...

I love the Twilight books too!

you really should read "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer as well. It just came out a few weeks ago, and is a really good story.

Maggie Ginsberg-Schutz said...

I've heard that real life is more important than blogging but I figure that's just an urban myth.

I'm gonna go check it out on Snopes.

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!