Monday, June 23, 2008

Goodbye, George

Two of my favorite books have been and will be - for the rest of my life - "Napalm and Silly Putty" and "Brain Droppings".

I was having trouble sleeping, so I was channel surfing a few minutes ago. Then I saw the news ticker on the bottom of the screen announce George's passing.

I feel heartsick.

He was one of the few comedians who possess a sharp wit and a sharper mind. Yes, he could be crude to some people. But he surpassed that surface crudeness with a take on the American way of life and the bigger picture of the world at large that was sheer brilliance.
He wasn't about bullshit. He may have used that word, or forms thereof, but his words - spoken and written - were the basest truth. His view of the world was funny - but it was also clear and honest and shared with a raised eyebrow, as if to say, "Did anyone else notice this?"

Witty, dry, sarcastic and brilliant.

I love his comedy records, I love his Hippy-Dippy WeatherMan, I love his stand-up routines, but most of all I love his work in the movies of my favorite writer/director ... Kevin Smith.

Watch Carlin in Dogma. Watch him in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. He's so damn funny.

But best of all, watch him in Jersey Girl. Watch his tenderness and vulnerability - covered up by a thick layer of gruffness. The last scene, with Affleck and then Carlin's on-screen granddaughter is sheer poetry. Makes me tear up every time.

I'll miss you George. But I will keep re-reading your books forever.

And to quote the man himself ...

There are nights when the wolves are silent ... and only the moon howls.
Brain Droppings 1997

5 comments:

v said...

I didn't know that he had died. I enjoy this post and now I have some more books to add to my list. I loved seeing him in Dogma. I haven't yet seen Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back or Jersey Girl so I think I'll see them now.

Your American Idol! said...

Tuly, this was one of the most unexpected pieces of news I've encountered for awhile.

George was a groundbreaker. He'll be missed.

(btw, good to see you posting again. Wish I had time to do the same!)

Lori said...

Vicki-
Those are two books that I've reread time and time again. They are very, very worth tracking down!
He has a smaller part in "Strikes Back" and it's a little raunchy... but he is fantastic in Jersey Girl. I love Kevin Smith anyway -but Carlin shines.

Ray-
It was sad to lose Cyd Charise last week (I am so into old movies) but this loss felt personal.
You're right, George was a groundbreaker.
And it's good to be posting again - I finally found something worthwhile to say. It just sucks that it had to be about such sad news.

Robin said...

I, too, am sad about Carlin. Funny thing about when I heard on NPR that Cyd Charise died, I thought they said CHER. I was freaking out for a moment, and then had to look on NPR's website to see who actually died. Doesn't help that my toddler is talking the entire time during Morning Edition...
Obviously not funny that Cyd Charise died, but I think you get what I'm saying. It's late, got to go to sleep.

Shelley Jaffe said...

I was just telling someone about how great he was in Jersey Girl! How weird is that?

He had done a Comedy Central special not too long before that movie, where he made some rather lame, disparaging jokes about rape - who jokes about THAT? I found it extremely distasteful, and he put me off.

But, I gotta tell ya, Jersey Girl won me over. He was amazing.

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!