Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Random Blips

It's me again.

Just thought I'd share a few random tidbits and maybe make you laugh a little.


#1: My husband has been kidnapped by Pirates. Seriously.

He's been held captive by the online Pirates of the Caribbean game. He loved the free trial portion and then some well-meaning relative sealed the deal by purchasing the whole shebang for him as a birthday present. I've never been a football widow, 'cause I'm usually right next to him, screaming my head off during the games. But the whole Pirate thing? Meh.



#2: My eight-year old son was in the school talent show.

He tossed this bit of information out to us about a week before the audition. Hubby and I were unloading the dishwasher and tried to keep our voices calm and unsurprised while we asked him about the talent he was showing. Ahem. (I had visions of bodily function noises set to music.) He was roped into dancing with a friend that's a girl to the song Valentine. This little girl wanted him to wear a tux (I vetoed that) or at least a suit (Seriously?) and had him coming over to her house after school to practice ... one evening specifically set aside for her to show him how she wanted him to wear his hair for the show.

Hubby asked, "I thought girls started changing what guys wore and how they did their hair in high school. Isn't she a bit early for this?"
I had no answer.

After the performance, as all the parents (hers and his) were chatting ... my son threw her under the bus - right in front of her dad.
My son: "Did you see those three boys in the last dance act? Olivia has a crush on one of them!"

Her dad paled - my Hubby laughed out loud - I nearly sighed out loud with relief. I am soooo not ready for the whole girlfriend stage.


#3: My twelve-year old daughter is bored to tears, and she's only in the first two weeks of summer vacation.
(Our son is in year-round school so he's gone most of the day.) She mopes around the house, complaining hourly that she's bored. And of course her tedious, boring parents are no help at all ... every suggestion we can think of gets shot down by the PreTeen Princess. Sigh.

#4: I am trying to figure out why my hands and feet are on fire. No joke.

Every day the palms of my hands feel like they are burning. Some days, the soles of my feet join in to scream along with the palms. So, I have competitive feet?
I did the whole WebMD thing and found no solace.
It could be peripheral neuropathy (there is a history of diabetes in my family) or MS or Lyme Disease or (and this is my favorite - just because of the plain speaking language of the name) Burning Feet Syndrome. Of course, WebMD also gave me a handful of other frightening causes, some of which are neurological (read - brain disease) and scary as hell.
So, what am I going to do about it?
I'm going to keep wrapping my hands around cold glasses that I'm stashing in the freezer.

Other than that, I am still waiting to be paid by or contacted by my freelance client. She said she was going to pay me over a month ago and I still haven't seen or heard anything from her. I still have the second 25 articles for her but she's MIA.
I hope she didn't hate the last 25 articles I did for her - I didn't get that feeling from her when she read them over months ago. Maybe she's had second thoughts.
Frick.

On a happy note, I am re-establishing my decade-old love relationship with Lucas Davenport. For those of you that haven't encountered him - he is the hero of the Prey novels by John Sandford. I hadn't read them in a while, and happened to pick one off of my bookshelf, late one night after I'd read all my library books.
I'd forgotten how much I love this series, and after I'd reread my own books I had to make a specific library excursion just to get some that I hadn't read.
So, that's good.

Ummm ... nothing much else to report. The recent days and weeks have taken on a mind-numbing routine, with nothing new or Earth-shattering to talk about.

I will post the talent show performance soon - I expect to hear plenty of "awwwwws" from across the world after you all get a look at it.

Cheers!

4 comments:

Jen said...

That is freaky about your hands! Could it be stress related?

I didn't know an 8 year old girl could be so coy at that age. Yeesh!

Make your 12 year old go to summer school - that'll shut her up about being bored! :P

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

That's awesome that your son ratted the little girl out to everybody! Awesome! And your hands and feet? Go to a doctor! Get it fixed and find out what it is. Seriously. That will make you feel better.

Glad to see you posting!

KatieSophie said...

hi momo!
i dont wallow around hourly???
but kool post!
and i dont know wat to tell u bout ur hands and feet
luv ya!

Robin said...

Could it be peri-menopause? My mom went through menopause at 35, so I was always a little freaked out that I would go through it before having children. Thankfully that was not the case. Yeah, go to a doc and get yourself fixed quick. Can't wait to see the talent show!!! Your son sounds too cute!

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!