Thursday, March 13, 2008

Doors Opening

I have discovered a secret that may have been obvious to the rest of the human race, but sometimes I'm a bit slow or a bit bull-headed. (Yes, I'm a Taurus)

Closing oneself off from the world does not a happy camper make.
I've been in a bit of a self-imposed shell for the last few months. Thought it would make me happy, make me feel safer in this big, bad, scary world. Didn't leave the house, or my neighborhood for days at a time.
But I'm stretching my legs and arms back out and letting the sun shine on my pale hide.
Know what?
It's not so bad.

Remember when you were little and you grabbed your friend's hand and you jumped into the deep end of the pool together? Somehow, the leap didn't seem so scary? And when you surfaced, the edge of the pool didn't seem so far away?

It helps when your friend is scared of the same things you are. You can push and pull each other into doing things you thought you couldn't. You can share your stories, reveal your scars and tell all about the old battles ... and then you're only left with one thing.

Moving forward.

This is just a little something for anyone out there who understands what it's like ... who hears their own voice in my words ... who doesn't think he or she is strong enough to step outside. Literally or metaphorically - doesn't matter.

You are strong enough.
But if you doubt me - find a friend who is as scared of the deep end as you are, grab hands and jump anyway!

3 comments:

Dianne said...

You're awesome, Lori Bear. Glad you took the leap - welcome back!
Love, Mom

Anne said...

You just made me cry. My hand will always be outstreched for yours.

Lori said...

So, you figured how who I was talking about, huh? :)

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!