Monday, March 31, 2008

Yay! ... and whoops...

I've told you about the numerous blogs I read on a daily basis. One of my favorites is Word Strumpet. Her link is over there on your left in the column of "Blogs I Love." Take a few minutes to stop by and you'll see why I love her, even if you aren't a writer.

This morning I was drinking my coffee and reading the blogs when I found a contest she was running. The first three people to respond with a comment would win either a writing / coaching session or a partial manuscript review.

I hurriedly scrolled down and was amazed to find that only two people had commented so far.

Guess who was the third? Whoo-Hoo!

Here's the link if you'd like to take a look:



http://wordstrumpet.typepad.com/word_strumpet/2008/03/pay-it-forward.html#comments



It really made my day. Then, a few moments ago I checked the page again to see if she'd posted a comment herself. Lo and behold, she had! I basked in a second helping of mental warm fuzzies, reminded of just how discovering that post this morning changed the tone of my day.


Then I read the last line of her comment. Apparently I didn't read her entire post carefully enough. Now I get to "pay it forward" and continue the giving spirit.

Damn! Now I have to give away three prizes!

Now, I am not stingy by nature - I love to give presents. But I am totally stumped as to what the heck I could give away!

Oh, sure. My thoughts did wander from practical to the ridiculous.

- Three of my favorite books? (But I reread my favorites. Hmmmm...)

- I only have two kids, but I bet Anne would give me her kid. (I'd sure get a lot more writing done. Anne would get more time to scrapbook and craft. Both of our houses would be cleaner. But, damnit. I think we'd miss them.)

- I could bribe Anne into making three cute things for me! (Nothing snarky to say about that. Except for the whole "using my friend" angle - that idea still has possibilities.)

- I could offer three of the tackiest Vegas souvenirs I can find. (Do you really want to represent your city like that? Grow up.)

- I could take pictures of the leftover stuff from the yard sale and the three winners could just pick something. (I'd have to deal with the shipping store but that would kill two birds with one stone! Less stuff to haul out on the lawn this Saturday!)

- I could offer to guest post for the winners. (Do you really think you can handle that kind of pressure? You know you would be a sobbing lump, curled up under your desk, sucking your thumb, racked with worry that you'd submit drivel and then never hear from them again!)

Therefore, my conclusion is this: I'm taking suggestions. Tell me what you think I ought to offer (within reason and the bounds of good taste - my parents and mother-in-law and one of my kids read this, you know) and give me some ideas, people!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read A Very Open Book and she took nominations for a prize of pampering stuff from The Body Shop. I thought it was a cool gesture and nominated Michele. She won and (on her own) started a contest for Shaklee products. I've considered doing something similar with my stash of Pampered Chef tidbits that are taking up space in storage. Have you ever participated in Tupperware, Avon, Pampered Chef, etc where you have a stash of stuff?

PS: I just found your blog (via Miss Britt)!

Lori said...

Nicole -
Thanks for dropping by! I love Miss Britt - she's fantastic.
No, I've never gotten into any of those home-party products - although I have considered one called REP Parties. (Lingerie and intimate toys) I've attended quite a few of my friends' parties and am good friends with the owner/hostess of the company. I've considered being a rep for them but just never took that first step.
But your suggestion does give me a few idea - thanks!
Please drop by again - anytime!

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!