Monday, March 3, 2008

Weekend of the Aunts

Have you ever had weekend that was like a roller coaster? We just had one of those. It started out great ... and then came to an end with an unpleasant, abrupt stop.

My Aunt Gail came to town for the NASCAR races - she looks fantastic and all of us - especially the kids - were tickled to see her again. This is the first time we've gotten to see her since we were in California last February. We'd been planning the trip down to see her already, but then a few days before our arrival her heart decided to make Valentine's Day more memorable for the whole family. Yes, you read that right - she had her heart attack on Valentine's Day, and then bypass surgery a few days later.
She and my mom had a fabulous time at the races and tonight they are going to see Mystere' - courtesy of my cousin Chris.
Oh, and he and his sister Julie also sent us some coffee Friday so yeah, my cousins ROCK!

Linda and Gene (Kirk's parents) picked up the kids after school Friday and kept them overnight so Kirk and I got to have a date night. We're watching money so we just stayed home ... but that was quite alright with me. Kirk's my own personal Top Chef - his dishes are better than most I've had in the fanciest restaurants. I get to be the sous chef and then clean up afterwards, so it's a fair deal!
The kids came home Saturday evening and we all just hung out and goofed off together.

And then Sunday rolled around, and Kirk got a phone call from his mom that his Aunt Connie had passed away the night before. The whole family is shaken up - this is the second sister Gene's lost in less than a year. Aunt Willie passed away on Mother's Day last year and that was, and is still incredibly difficult.
Happily, Aunt Vicky is coming out here for a visit soon so we can lavish her with extra hugs and kisses.

Remember my post from Thanksgiving, when I talked about what a fun day and evening we had at Robin and Chip's house, and how great it is to spend time with family that you actually want to hang out with? I meant it then and I mean it now and I just wanted to say it again.

I love that we keep in closer contact with our friends and family more often now than we ever did with occasional phone calls and the rare letter by snail mail. We're all sending emails, reading each other's blogs, posting pictures of our kids, and forwarding jokes and funny cartoons and annoying chain letters. (Just kidding!) It doesn't matter if it's someone across the street or across the country - you're right here in this little box on my desk. And I like that.

So, wherever you are - whether you are family or friends - consider yourself loved and hugged and appreciated.

XOXOXO

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Lori~

I couldn't agree with you more. I love how easy it is to keep up with you and Robin out west. Since losing Mom and now Aunt Connie it seems like your being smacked in the face to realize how short life really is.

Take care of yourself and the family and tell everyone we said hello and we love you all.

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!