Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Ongoing Saga of the Wireless Laptop


I was given my sweet little laptop, and it's a wonderful thing. (Actually Mom loaned it to me and I just sorta kept it. She's devoted to her ergonomic keyboard anyway...) I am truly very grateful for it. It's right up there with my iPod on the list of favorite gadgets. It holds all of my rough drafts, story ideas and plot outline, as well as the current incarnation of my book. I wasn't much bothered by the fact that I didn't have Internet access on it because the home computer suited me just fine.

That was then. This is now.

Over the last few weeks - thanks to the influence of my laptop-riding neighbor, fellow Blogger and friend Anne - I have rapidly become obsessed with the idea. I am consumed with the luxury of being able to lay in bed and write, blog, whatever ... especially on those long nights when sleep eludes me. It's a much more appealing idea than sitting in the hard wooden chair in the chilly den at 3 o'clock in the morning. (Yeah, I know ... I've got it sooooo rough, right?)

The first step was getting the wireless router hooked up. If you read my daughter's blog, you already know that the first attempt resulted in us losing Internet access completely for a few days. Whoops ...

This past Sunday I promised my hubby a month of back rubs if he'd try again to hook up the router. I'd even climb under the desk and do all the cable and plug work so he didn't have to move out of the chair.
(He broke a few bones in his foot last week. Yes, it was my fault. But that's another story.)

This time ... success!! Our daughter's laptop (her XMas present from Aunt Kelly) grabbed the signal right away and she was off and running. To her room. We've barely seen her since ...

And mine?

Nada.

For some reason, mine has wireless capabilities but (1) is missing the Ethernet Controller Drivers or (2) has them but they don't work or (3) just doesn't feel like "surfing."

Happily, Anne's hubby Wayne let me borrow a 25-foot cable to plug into the router... so I am actually sitting on a comfy couch in the den and writing this all out. Notice, I am not lounging in bed. Why is that? Because I apparently need a 28-foot cable to do that.
Yes, that is correct. I am 3 measly feet short of my goal.

But the saga is not over, as I am still going to have my laptop looked at to see if we may be able to get this little guy to co-operate and be a team player. One of these days I'll be writing copious amounts of literary brilliance (ha!) all the while roaming freely around the house ... unfettered by cords or cables. Well, except for the power cord ...

3 comments:

Your American Idol! said...

Oh, that is so frustrating. When I went wireless, it went off without a hitch. Three months later....out of the blue...nothing worked. And no one--IT geek friends, my ISP help desk, none of the so called "experts"--had any reason why. I ended up buying a new router and just starting all over again. That (knock wood) seemed to do the trick.

Lori said...

Lucky you - our router seems to be doing fine (knock wood) but the laptop is still being difficult (going wireless). I'm trying to be a glass-half-full kinda girl and just be happy I've got the Internet on the laptop now - even if I am on a leash!

Anne said...

HA HA HA HA, sucks to be you! ;p

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!