Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I Did It


Well, it's done. I went to the interview for the page job at my library. I think it went really well. The two ladies that conducted the interview were friendly and seemed to like me. They asked me a series of 10 questions and I think they liked my answers. I talked a lot with each of my answers (as I am wont to do) but they laughed in all the right places and nodded their heads quite often. Now that an hour has passed since I left the interview, I'm reviewing it all and trying to sum up the woman that sat across the table from them, and what they learned about her from those 10 questions.

She quit her almost 20 year career in ophthalmology/optometry to stay home with her kids and write - freelance and a novel.
She was a library aide (as a credited class) all three years she was in junior high (grades 7, 8 and 9) and a volunteer helper in her high school library (most of grades 10, 11 and 12).
She is at that library branch so often that she notices when they get a new book in what would be the 800's (literature) of the Dewey Decimal System (which they don't use - they use an alphanumeric system that gives her fits - which she explained - to which they were kind enough to assure her she would pick it up quickly) and is so obsessive that if a book is out of place she re-shelves it where it ought to be.
She used to alphabetize her CD collection, and has a system for her bookshelves at home only she understands.
She has worked with medical records and charts for so many years that she can alphabetize and file in her sleep.
She has no trouble lugging around a book cart that may weigh up to 100 pounds because she lugged 200 and 300 lb patients onto and off of an operating table on a daily basis - for over 10 years.
She has hefted boxes full of surgical drapes, surgical instruments and cartons of health fair supplies.
She is a little wary of emptying the book drop in front of the library after dark because she was mugged once outside her office - but was reassured she can take along the armed security guard for the task.
She has dealt with happy patients, angry patients, patients in extreme pain, and patients with advanced cases of dementia - so dealing with the general public and their questions should be a piece of cake.
She is very experienced with knowing which questions she is qualified to answer and which ones must be passed along for the doctor / supervisor to answer. (Thank you, HIPPA)
If she doesn't understand a task she is supposed to perform she will not hesitate to ask for help.
She won't be bothered by friends coming in to the library to chat with her because most of her friends are used to her previous career when she was basically incommunicado all day because she was in surgery.
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly (and supremely geeky) her husband teases her that he wouldn't be surprised if she paid them to let her work there.

The interview ended with me going to a book cart they had in the room and placing the books in proper order. One row of non-fiction and one row of fiction books. I had a brief panic attack because I had worried I would botch this part because I just don't get the alphanumeric system that branch uses. They were kind enough to assure me that they weren't timing me, and then one said, "It's an alphanumeric system" very deliberately. I looked at the spines and labels again and suddenly GOT IT. I did the non-fiction first and then the much easier and universally categorized fiction books. I joked with them that they had to check my work before I left or else I wouldn't be able to sleep for a week. They both laughed and just before I left one of them checked the cart and said I got them all right. Whew.

I left there feeling pretty good about the interview. There were obviously quite a few applicants for the position, so I can't say it's mine for sure. I do think that I did as good if not better than I had hoped. And I think they liked me. I made them laugh a few times, which I think is rare in most job interviews, so at the very least I may stand out in their minds when they start discussing each candidate.

Ah, well. They will contact me by the end of this week or the beginning of next week with their answer.

Cross your fingers!

7 comments:

Your American Idol! said...

Hmmm. Sounds to me like you might be OVERQUALIFIED for this gig....

Good luck!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Fingers, legs, and ankles - all crossed.

You go gurl!

Jen said...

Ah yes, the good ol' Dewey decimal system!

Good luck!

Lori said...

Ray, Heather and Jen -
Thank you all for the good wishes. I'll let you know as soon as I do!
('Cause you all know I don't make a move without blogging about it. Hence the "addicted to" badge ...)
Hugs to you all for your support!

Anonymous said...

I totally love this post. Totally. For so many reasons.

Can't wait to hear how it pans out, but I've got a pretty good hunch....

Lori said...

Maggie-
It tickles me that you totally love this post. Totally. And I'd love to know the reasons someday.
Hee hee.
As for your hunch - "From your lips to God's ears" as my Grandma used to say.

TheOneTrueSue said...

Oh, I hope you get the job! When I was a kid I really, really wanted to be a librarian. And a singer, and an actress, and a teacher, and a doctor. But, er, also a librarian.

Thanks for your kind comment. It was so clever and sweet. Nice to "meet" you.

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!