Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sweet Pea

Twelve years ago today this little girl came into our lives, and changed us forever.

I'm not going to complain about the fact that she finally made her appearance 5 days after her due date, and had to be coaxed out. I'm not going to whine about the itchy, ugly rash I got over my entire body because of her tardiness, explained by my clever OB as my body basically becoming allergic to the little person housed inside. I'm not going to remind her of the old wives' tale that a girl baby "steals the mother's beauty for herself" and that's why I bore a striking resemblance to Jabba the Hut while carrying her. I'm not going to complain about the vicious heartburn that eventually kept me from indulging my ravenous craving for FatBurger. I'm not going to bring up the 28-hour labor and half-assed epidural that I had.

I won't get up on my soapbox about any of those complaints because the minute she was born, the heartburn, rash and pain were gone. Everything was perfect.

We left the hospital the next morning, stopping by Costco to get my post-natal pain pills - that I never needed. She was first oohed and aahed over by two elderly ladies as I stood in the warm April sunshine outside the store while the new Daddy ran in to fill the prescription. When they asked how old she was I answered, "What time is it?" They looked aghast. "Because she was born a little before 9 last night." I added quickly. It took me a few seconds to catch on to the fact that they thought I was the worst new mother they had ever met. "Oh you shouldn't have her outside already!" They scolded. I looked up at the bright blue sky, felt a trace of a spring breeze and looked back at them. They were shaking their heads and walking away. New Daddy came out a little while later and we laughed about it all the way home.



This is our little girl now. The fresh air that morning twelve years ago did her no harm. She grew like a weed. Now, she is not so little anymore. She's 5'6" and we wear the same size shoe. And she's not the only child anymore; she got a little brother when she was 4. She used to love him like her favorite baby doll, but that has developed into the usual sibling rivalry.

She's smart - too smart - and funny and clever and very loving. She has a good group of close, loyal girlfriends - some since kindergarten. She has a good head on her shoulders, and a tender heart. She'll still flop on the couch and snuggle up with her dad or I.

She is so much fun, I'd want to hang around her even if she wasn't my kid.

Our world is still so much better with you in it, Katie Bug.

Happy Birthday!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did the years go?We have both of those picturs out at home. She has been and is still so much fun to be with. We love watching her with her Dad and Mom when she was just a baby, and now with her brother Payton. We are blessed.
Papaw and I were just looking at a picture of her with her Dad and she is so tiny but laughing I will show it to you guys when we see you.
The Mamaw and Papaw of that good looking kid!!!

Your American Idol! said...

That's a nice post. Does she read your blog?

We were reminiscing the other day about how scary that very first day you bring your very first child home is. All the advance prep is about how to get through pregnancy, and delivery. All of a sudden, you're on your own with this strange little creature. It is truly life's greatest "What do we do NOW?" moment....

KatieSophie said...

Thank you momo!! That was very strange looking at the baby me and then looking at the older (now) me. Love you!!!

Lori said...

Ray - Thanks very much and does the comment right under yours answer your question?
She even has her own blog!
(sigh)

Lori said...

And yes, she calls me Momo. Which I don't mind because she calls her dad Dodo. (pronounced "doedoe") Ha!
And of course her brother picked up on it ... and all her friends.

RiverPoet said...

Happy birthday, Katie!

Peace - D

Anonymous said...

Wait, your daughter has her own blog?? That's SO COOL. I've been on Eva to do that for months.

This is such a sweet tribute, and so funny about the Costco ladies because that is SO TYPICAL. It never fails to amaze me how basically from the minute you become pregnant, you become public property. You are everyone's to touch, to judge, to scold, to touch again... it's just too crazy. At least you guys, even as new parents, had the presence of mind to laugh it off. I'm sure that trait has served you well over the years.

Happy birthday Katie Bug!

Anne said...

Isn't it great to step back take a look at your kid and say..."Damn I do good work". (it works especially well when they are asleep.) She is fantastic and I am proud to know her.

Lori said...

Momma - Thanks for visiting and the b-day wishes for Katie.

Maggie- Yes, she has her own blog and I am SO proud. Her link is the list of Blogs I Love under "Kaitlin's Blog." She drives me crazy because she refuses to capitalize, and resorts to text-speak sometimes and I gripe about it. Of course she does what she wants because it's her blog. As it should be. She'll never be anyone's doormat.

As for the unsolicited advice, I credit our laughter to our own upbringing. There's a lot of laughter in our families. And not a lot of harsh judgement. Lots of support.

(Damn, I bet I just made my mom cry again.)

And so help me, when Eva gets her own blog I will read every day. Especially when she talks about "Bwett Fawve"

Anne- Nice to know someone else (not related to her) thinks she's pretty cool. She is a good kid. Just don't tell her I said so!

Everyone- I am really tickled that the post that got the most comments was this one. Wait for July when The Boy turns 8. That post ought to be a doozie!

Jen said...

Awww! Happy birthday!

Unknown said...

Hey those same old ladies gave me dirty looks too.

For all three kids, we were up and about the next day. I went to a party with my first the day after. I went to a military function with the second. And the third got all these grimy kids touching him whence we picked up my eldest from kindergarten.

I think those old ladies are suspicious of germs, weather, not being baptised...They grew up in a different generation.

Kids these days are much more resilent--although I screwed up with the kindergarten visit. My littlest got RSV and had breathing treatment for 4 months.

Yep, I suck just like you and Miss Britt and all the rest of the mothers in the world.

By the way, your daughter is beautiful.

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!