Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Little Slap of Awareness ...


I know that by now you've noticed the tendency of my emotions to yo-yo all over the frickin' place. I ripped open an artery a few days ago and exposed my inner self in a way that is completely and totally foreign and very unlike me.

I rebounded to post the birthday tribute to my mom - and even that wasn't as sentimental as it might have been, were I in a more "happy place." Of course I meant every last word - but I am certain that everyone that knows me could sense that I wasn't all there. It could have been so much better. Mom, I promise to do you one better on Mother's Day.

But tonite, I was visiting one of my favorite sites - Ask And Ye Shall Receive. It's a blog review site that is brutally honest, clever and witty as hell. And no, to answer your question, I have NOT submitted mine for review.

I have discovered many of my current favorite blogs on this site - most notably Coal Miner's Granddaughter, Nitro Vista and Maggie, Dammit. (I freakin' love you guys!)

The most recent review was for a site titled Widow For A Year ... written by a woman who lost her husband this past October to pancreatic cancer at the age of 44. She is now raising two small children by herself - with the support of her family and friends.

I knew I shouldn't start reading her blog - because I am so tender hearted I cry at those damn commercials for dogs and cats in animal shelters, and all the critters look up at the camera with the soul-piercing look. I want to adopt every damn one of them. And I cannot even mention the commercials for children around the world that need sponsorship. They rip my heart out.

But I have fallen in love with this blog. No matter how heart-wrenching it is to me - she has an honest writing style that pulls me into her life and makes me ache for her. And admire her - I cannot begin to imagine what I might do in her situation. I can't bring myself to imagine my life without my husband. I would only hope I could manage one hundredth as well as she has. She has not had an easy time these past months, and you feel her deep agony, and cheer her every success. Some days, just functioning is a major success for many of us - for her it must feel like a daily triathlon.

So, my earlier ranting and ravings about poor little me? Utter and complete bullshit.

What the hell does all of this material crap matter when I have a healthy, happy family with which to spend my days? We may keep this house - we may sell it and move. Eventually, Kirk will find a job - somewhere and sometime. I am going to write until my fingers bleed and finish the manuscript, and I am going to finish my freelance gig as soon as I can to thank my client for her enduring patience and support. We will get through this.

Please don't read this as one of those "if you think you've got it bad - look at this" sorts of thoughts. I genuinely don't feel that way after reading her blog. And yes, I read every one of her posts. The primary feeling I took away - aside from my empathy and respect for her - is that at the end of the day, in my ordinary little life, the small stuff really doesn't matter unless you let it get to you.
There's so much more to be thankful for. I just have to change my outlook. Thanks to this wonderful woman - I am well on my way.

Stop by and visit her. Bring tissues. http://www.stduffy.blogspot.com/
And please click on her link to donate to pancreatic cancer research and early detection. Or go there directly from here ... http://www.lustgarten.org/.
And know that whoever you are - friends, blogger friends, family and all - I love you all to pieces.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes thinking of the bigger picture helps put things into perspective. I know for me, a few weeks ago, when I had my "medical procedure" and had to fast, I kept thinking how much it sucked to be hungry. Then I started thinking of all the people who don't eat regularly as a way of life (read- are going hungry) and I just thanked the powers that be that I was able to get medical attention and food whenever I wanted it (save for 36 hours of fasting).

Anyway, I love your blog and I appreciate your sentiments. I take a lot away from this... I'm positive you guys will pull through your tough time, and you really should submit your blog for review.

Sandi said...

Lori--

Thank you for your kind words. And thanks for visiting my blog.

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

I sampled her blog, too, and just sobbed! She is a wonderful, heart-felt writer with a heart-wrenching story. It does make me appreciate my wonderful, healthy family and feel very lucky to just be complaining about nothing more than carpenter bees!

Your American Idol! said...

Yeesh. Blogs like that always make my silly, stream-of-consciousness ramblings seem like a total waste of time.

Anonymous said...

Awwww, I freakin' love you, too! :)

Yeah, her blog gutted me. It wasn't pretty. I was slobbery and snotty and sobbing and I finally clicked the little x. She's amazing.

You know, there's always darkness out there. I've got plenty of it in my life right now and I'm sure everybody else has it in theirs. That's why sometimes I think it's a good thing to be light on our blogs, to complain about the inanities. Sometimes it's a nice escape.

RiverPoet said...

I'll read her blog tomorrow when I'm in a better plan mentally.

Meanwhile, I tagged you for a little silliness over at my blog.

Peace - D

Anonymous said...

Lori: I'm so glad you found Sandi! She has such an inspirational message, and she presents herself with such grace and openness. I found her through my very first commenter's
blogroll (Barbara Peapod), and have been reading her ever since. I hope she gets more readers with her recent article - she deserves the love!

Lori said...

Robin -
That change of perspective is exactly what I was trying to get across in the post. Yeah, I've got problems - who doesn't? But mine pale in comparison. It really does help to get through what I thought of as a tough time.
Thanks for the compliments -but I just can't imagine submitting it for review. Not for a long time anyway. :)

Sandi-
Thank you very much for sharing your story with all of us. You've got my support for life.

Heather -
All I can do is echo everything you said. Ditto.
I started at her very first post and cried and laughed all the way through.

Ray -
I think it's all about balance. I need to read your "silly ramblings" as much as I need my morning coffee.

Maggie-
*kiss*
Yeah, I'm right there with you. Most of my blog is light and goofy - and it feels weird when I get dark and moody. But I know most everyone out there relates to that roller coaster of happy / sad days.

Momma -
Bring a box of tissues. You'll thank me later.
And OH MY GAWD you made my day by tagging me. I'm so happy! I had to go back and add a P.P.S. to that post. Whoo-hoo!

Baroness -
As if I wasn't already in love with her blog, I saw her in your blogroll and knew I was in excellent company. She deserves truckloads of love and support and good wishes.

Lori said...

Um - Baroness ...
As Willie Wonka (Gene Wilder) said, "Scratch that. Reverse it." I meant when I saw YOU in HER blogroll.
Duh.
Whoops!

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!