Friday, April 18, 2008

My New Friend


Mr. Blue

I made a new friend this week.
In fact, I may have a little crush on this guy. Hubby knows and is totally fine with it, by the way.

Picture this:
I'm walking home from Anne's house after an afternoon spent sitting in lawn chairs in her driveway, watching the boys fly (mostly nose-dive crash) Anne's son's new RC plane. It was a beautiful afternoon, high 70's with a light spring breeze. I even got a tan line on the top of my feet from my flip-flops. Which looks very odd when said feet are bare, but I digress.

Anyhoo ...
I'm walking home from Anne's and I notice an older gentleman walking in front of his house. I smile and wave and say hello, 'cause I'm all relaxed and happy from the sun and the girl-talk.

He responds with a hello of his own, and as we chat about the gorgeous weather he mentions he's getting over jet-lag. Not being a world traveler myself, I ask where he's returned from. (I cannot remember the last time I was on a plane, unless I poke multiple little grey cells into action, and that would slow down my story)

He answers, (casually - as if it was the corner market) "Switzerland."
My mouth gapes unattractively as he continues, "I'm going to Paris in June."
This man has my undivided attention.

"How do you get to travel so often?" I ask.

"I'm a musician. I play the Blues. Do you like the Blues?" he replies.

I stammer. I don't know how to find the words to tell him how much I love the Blues. I was raised by parents with eclectic and varied tastes in music, but most of all, a deep appreciation for the pure emotional sound of Jazz or Blues. I am also the granddaughter of a trumpet and coronet player who spent thousands of late nights playing in a Jazz band. Nothing soothes my soul like the sweet and mournful Billie or Etta.

He casually offers, "Would you like one of my CD's?" I cannot answer fast enough. "Yes, please."

He opens his garage door and I am transfixed. I am rooted to the spot; my rubber-soled flip-flops have melted into the cement of his driveway. The walls of his garage are papered with festival posters ... The Monterey Jazz Festival catches my eye instantly. There are more festival posters, some I've never even heard of. Then I see the framed - some signed - photos of the singers and musicians he's played with over the years. Tina Turner, Ike Turner, B.B. King ... my head is spinning. I'm stuttering and trying not to gush like an idiot. I'm not being very successful. There are so many faces I'm familiar with; my brain cannot carry the names to my lips.

I am in awe.

He is so casual. So earthy and friendly and open to sharing his stories. I wish I had one of my trusty notebooks. Hell, I wish I had a tape recorder because my words cannot do justice to his stories. The cadence of his speech, the easy, rhythmic timing of his syllables.

I feel the need to convey my love of everything from that era. I want him to know I appreciate his life, his work, his world. I'm not just a thirty-something neighbor woman biding her time. My favorite music, books, movies, fashions ... everything is from the 40's and 50's. I try to tell him how special this conversation with him is to me ... meeting someone with the talent and history and memories he possesses is overwhelming. And I am at a loss for words. All I want to do is sit at his feet and prompt him to tell me stories until he tires of me.

He mentions he talked to Tina last night. I interrupt, saying "Wait. I'm having trouble with the fact that you just toss that out so off-handedly." He smiles, and I go on. "You talked to Tina Turner last night." He shrugs, and then adds, "We keep in touch. I just saw her." I remember the A&E Biography of her and respond, "That's right! I forgot she lives in Geneva, right?" He smiles at me and I think I've just gotten the tiniest nod of approval.

I've talked with him since that first day, but that will have to wait for my next post. There is more to tell, and I want to share the stories properly. And the CD he gave me? I've only played it about six times already.

This wonderful guy's name? Leon Blue

Yes, that is his real name.

I'm going to leave you with an older picture of Mr. Blue. That guy walking in front of him? Oh, that's just Ike Turner.
This guy is the real frickin deal. And he lives on my street.
My neighborhood just got so much cooler.

13 comments:

Your American Idol! said...

That's a great post.

I'm a devotee of the blues, as they are the roots of everything else I've ever listened to. I've been fortunate to see some of the great ones perform--Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Albert King--but one of my coolest memories was meeting Pinetop Perkins, sitting in bar in Austin, TX last fall. He was dressed impeccably in a 3-piece suit and fedora, and just beamed when we shook hands. I'm thinking....this guy is living history...and here he's happy to be meeting ME.

Stay close to Mr. Blue. There's a great story there, one people like me would pay to read.

RiverPoet said...

That is so COOL! I can't wait to read more. I'm not quite as up on the blues musicians as you are, but I can imagine that you are going to have great conversations with this guy. Serendipitous indeed.

Peace - D

Jen said...

That is so frigging cool!

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! I'm not a huge blues fan, but to meet someone who embodies everything you love...well, that's just awesome!

You nurture your new friendship and enjoy your new friend!

Cissa Fireheart said...

Wow. As we say in New England..THAT IS WICKED AWESOME!!

I look forward to hearing more about your friendship with Mr. Blue. Very Very Very cool...

Shelley Jaffe said...

How cool is this? Icy "Blue" cool, that's how cool!

I loved this post - I had a piano teacher in around 1976 that offered to take me to see Ike and Tina. I reluctantly accepted just because I liked my piano teacher, but let me tell you, that concert rocked my world! No doubt, your Mr. Blue was right there. Awesome.

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Holy crap. I'm so invading your house and we're going to stalk him. That's awesome! My neighbor? Girl Scout troop leader. Don't know who gets the better deal. Me and my cookies or you and your blues.

Sweet!

v said...

Hey Lori, this is Vickie (Bobbie's middle daughter). I've been enjoying your blog for a little while now (I'm "Reno, Nevada" there on your live traffic feed).

Can I add you to my blog roll on my newly created blog? I'm new to this, but I think you can get to it by clicking on the "v" from my comment. If not, it's http://stagnoperanitre.blogspot.com/

I promise, it's all clean!

Lori said...

Ray-
That's exactly how I felt. Here is this man that I'm bowled over to meet, and he's just as laid back and casual as can be.
And don't think I haven't already thought he'd make a great subject for a freelance article. :)

Momma, Jen, Orkmommy & Cissa-
I know, huh? I've already started to check his garage door every time I step outside. Just to see if he's out front, to chat a little.

Baroness -
You had a frickin' cool piano teacher! You know that, right?
Damn!

Heather-
I'll pick you up at the airport.
Bring cookies. :)

Vickie-
I was wondering who that was! And, good heavens YES! Add me to your blog roll! I'll return the favor. :) And I like a little dirt!

v said...

I'm finding more people who read dooce. I've noticed also about the comments only being open sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Duuuuuuuuuude.

I agree with Ray, there's an opportunity here for sure.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lori.

Boy, are you lucky. I love listening to older people talking about their lives. Most of them keep me in awe about the things they've done. Now that I'm "older" its hard to find "older" people, so now I listen to younger people. People of any age are fascinating.

I have met many entertainers in my life, but never lived closed to one that I could visit. I'm jealous.

Walt and I love Blues/Jazz. We have (actually, they are Walt's, but I love listening to them) many CD's of several Blues/Jazz entertainers. Walt introduced me to the above mentioned-entertainers. My family loved country/western. Oops, I mean country. Little Rachel (not so little anymore) keeps correcting me.

I love reading your blog. You are definitely a natural writer. Keep on writing.

Bobbie

Lori said...

Bobbie -
I'm so glad you left a comment! It's just as thrilling when Vickie did - I had no idea you guys were reading this and (gulp) enjoying it.
Don't worry - I still say Country & Western too ...
Thank you for the compliments. I'm a little stunned you think I'm a natural writer - most times it just feels like I'm babbling in my head and typing the words out.

Please keep visiting and commenting - and thank you so much for the multitude of articles and agent's names and inquiry letter samples. I hope to get to use them one day really soon.

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!