Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Laptop = Crack



See that little innocuous looking thing right up there? That there is my crack. Want to know why I should say such a thing? Sit down and get comfy, I've got a story to tell you.

This morning started off like all the others. Got Katie off to school, returned home and planned to work on the research and maybe get a few articles done before Payton and Hubby woke. Of course, I had to start off my morning with my post about the crocheted pasties and bikini bottom. (Mental stretching before the real work.) As I published that post, my little laptop started to beep. Then a little bubble popped up, telling me to "switch to alternate power source to preserve your work." Fine, no problem.

Except my AC adapter is already plugged in. Frick.

I jiggle the plugs, I unplug both ends and plug them back in, I move the laptop and adapter to another spot across the room to check that outlet. Nada, zip, zilch. I even got my phone charger to make sure both outlets are working. And my laptop is still beeping at me.

I gave up and turned the laptop off. Then I headed upstairs to the family PC and spent about an hour searching for replacement AC adapters. I discovered that I could get a universal adapter on eBay for 19.99 (plus $12 S/H) but it would take 7-21 days to be delivered. (Coming from Hong Kong, of course.) I can't wait that long! I cannot be without my laptop for that length of time - I've got a deadline sitting on my shoulders that I absolutely cannot miss. I know you're all thinking that I could have just done my articles on the famPC.

Yeah, right.

I'd have to take a number, and get in line, and you can bet your Aunt Fanny that I'd get stuck with the worst hours to write. (Oh, like when everybody's home and awake, for instance.) Besides, I neeeeeed my laptop. Hence, the crack comparison.

Guess what happened next? You're right! The family PC froze up on me. Damnit, damnit, damnit!

I showed it who's boss, though. I went and took a nap. (Yes, I did.)

When I got up, I started the phone book crawl. You know, when you call every possible person in the city who just might be able to help you, and as you're describing the computer accessory you need, you get the distinct feeling they are staring off into space and cleaning their ear with a paper clip? But you rattle off all the model and part numbers all the same, and try to grin and frickin' bear it?

So, the BigBuy nationwide store told me they had one in stock for $130. (gulp) No dice.

A dozen phone calls later, this very nice man told me he had one (without really listening to my part numbers - a great big fat omen) for $59. Great! (OK, not great - but I'm desperate.) I ask for his address. I know that part of town and KNOW it's residential. I ask if his store is in a shopping center (they do spring up awful quick around here) and he says, "No, it's my house." Hmmmmm...

"And I only take cash." Double hmmmmmmm .....

So, I take Kirk along for "company." Dude, I am no petite, delicate flower. I'm nearly 6 feet tall barefoot. But having my 6'2" 250 lb. husband along just made me feel a teensy bit better. (For the record, Anne offered her husband as company also - he's about the same size as mine. But I thought that might be overdoing things just a touch.)

Let's just skip ahead to the guy's home/office. Mr. Guy's "office" is his dining room. In his mobile home. Which is covered with hundreds of various spare parts and computer innards. Oh, and on top of it all? A 3 inch layer of dust. (I thought my house was dirty!) I pulled my laptop out of my bag and just stood there and held it. There was no way in hell I was going to set it down on any surface in that place. He grabs a cord he had "put aside" for me and tried to jam it into the AC port. Nope - no dice. So, he walks over to a metal tool chest and starts yanking out drawers, rooting around for any more he might have. (I didn't dare look at Kirk - I just knew he'd shoot me one look and I'd burst out laughing.) He tries two more adapters, is unsuccessful, says, "Sorry folks" and scoots out of the room to go answer his phone. I jammed my laptop back in the bag and we ran for the door.

We were totally silent the whole way to the car. It wasn't until we got both seat belts on and I had started the ignition that I said, "OK, go ahead." All Kirk could say was, "Wowwwwww" in a low voice ... long, drawn out stunned disbelief. It was so bad it took us almost 10 minutes to start riffing on the guy. It was THAT bad.

Well, that's the juicy, painful bits. On the upside - we stopped off at another store I had called (a mile from our house - DUH!) and although we had to pay $80 (ouch) my laptop spent a few hours charging and is rarin' to go, and the adapter has several alternate tips so we can also charge a laptop we got from a bankruptcy estate sale over a year ago that we didn't have an AC adapter for. Guy number 2 was very nice and helpful, and even took it out of the box to make sure it worked before we left. Hurray for Guy #2!

As for me, I got my fix just now.

Whew!

8 comments:

RiverPoet said...

Oh. My. God. Scary! I'm so glad you didn't go by yourself!

Yes, these little pieces of heaven do get us wrapped around their little AC cords. I live with mine on my lap! (Of course I work from home, too, so it's not ALL blogging!)

Peace - D

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Oh, wow. So amazing that people like that exist in the world. Too bad you couldn't take spy pictures for your blog! :-)

Glad your baby is happy, though, and that's what matters!

Anne said...

I'm laughing so hard right now that I'm surprised you can't hear me at your house. By the by Wayne told me last night that he not only reads and enjoys your blog, but also that you are very funny and well spoken. This is high praise from a man who’s major reading delights is in finding typos in the newspaper (he is very odd). I just thought you should know.

Cissa Fireheart said...

I shudder just to think about guy #1. Good thinking on bringing hubby...

glad you got your laptop back!

Anonymous said...

It is SOOOOO scary how attached we've become to these innocent little pieces of machinery. I shudder to think of all the science fiction books that will be written about this new generation of computer zombies. I can't imagine life without my laptop. I honestly can't.

Your American Idol! said...

That's hilarious.

I'm a bit of a Luddite on matters digital. I've only had a laptop for about 2 mos. But already, yeah, I get the crack comparison. Using the desktop now feels like...using a dial telephone...getting up to change the channels....etc.

Jen said...

The things we will do for our laptops!

Lori said...

Sorry for the delay in comments to your comments, but you can see why if you read the next post.

Momma-
In truth - I was about a foot taller than Guy #1 - and in a lot better physical condition. I could have picked up any random computer part and brained him if I had to.

Heather-
I wish I'd had the foresight to do that. It would creep you the hell out. Seriously.

Anne-
You know me well enough to know I DELIGHT in finding printed typos in magazines and newspapers. The OCD writer in me looooooves that. So kudos to Wayne. And he likes my writing? Whoo-boy!

Cissa-
Thanks, and you have no idea (actually, you probably do) how much happier I am at this moment.

Maggie-
I am so in love with my laptop (again - thank you Wayne!) that it may get it's own name, like my car. I'm thinking Toshi.

Ray-
I am flattered YOU think my post is hilarious. You're pretty damn funny yourself - on a daily basis. And when the remote control "disappears" the whole house goes into lockdown. I feel you.

Jen-
I would leap tall buildings in a single bound for my laptop. Swear to God. Oh, and my kids ... and the husband ... not necessarily in that order.

Thomas likes to play with your mouse ... he'll even purr!